Work underway on dozens of new homes on Southwick seafront

Work has begun on dozens of affordable homes along Southwick seafront.

Thursday, 25th March 2021, 11:53 am

A total of 55 new homes will be created in Albion Street, comprising two new five-storey blocks and an existing row of disused housing.

Adur District Council took over the plot after a developer, which had been granted planning permission in 2018, did not move forward with the project.

Originally earmarked for 30 per cent affordable housing, all of the flats will now be made affordable under the council’s scheme.

Councillor Carson Albury, holding a spade, with members of the project and contractor team SUS-210325-114641001

Councillor Carson Albury, Adur’s cabinet member for customer services, viewed the progress on site this week. He said: “It’s fantastic news that work on the Albion Street development has started, because it will benefit many residents, including families, across Adur.

“We are always looking at ways in which we can meet the need for affordable housing and once completed this scheme will help to reduce the number of households on the Adur Homes Housing Register.”

Contractor Westridge started work on the foundations last week.

The council said the first signs of the development will start to show in the summer, with completion scheduled for next year.

The Albion Street development SUS-210325-114614001

The project is being supported by £2.4million from the Government’s Homes England scheme.

Albion Street is one of a number of schemes in the area which will provide 100 new council homes in Adur over the next couple of years.

The Albion Street development SUS-210325-114715001