Some of the criminals jailed in Sussex in December and very late November SUS-210901-134514001
These criminals will be ringing in the new year behind bars thanks to the relentless work of the police, supporting agencies and the bravery of their victims. All information on the cases come from either Sussex Police or our reporters attending court first-hand.
Daniel Appleton, 38, was found guilty of murdering his wife and a 76-year-old neighbour who rushed to help. Appleton had attacked his wife, Amy Appleton, on the drive of their Hazel Way home in Crawley Down on December 22, 2019. Sandy Seagrave, 76, was passing and crossed the road to confront Appleton, who beat her with her own walking stick. He then used the stick to further attack his wife. Both women were pronounced dead at the scene. Appleton then reentered the house and was found by police inside, having inflicted multiple life-threatening injuries to himself. His friends and family said he had been acting strangely leading up to the incident and witnesses said he seemed 'like he was possessed'. Three psychiatric assessments considered Appleton to have experienced a brief psychotic episode at the time of the killings and hallucinogenic drugs were found in his system. Appleton was convicted of murder on December 29 and will be sentenced on January 25.
Forty-year-old Amy Winter assaulted two paramedics who were trying to give her treatment following a fire at her flat in Surrey Street, Brighton, on Christmas Eve. Winter was being treated in the back of an ambulance, while the fire service put out the fire shortly after 3pm, but she repeatedly punched the paramedics, causing minor arm injuries. She was arrested and pleaded guilty to two counts of assaulting an emergency worker on Boxing Day. She was sentenced to six months in prison.
Carl Duncan, 61, of Colvin Gardens in Enfield, was jailed after racking up penalty points on a woman's driving licence by giving her details when he was caught carrying out motoring offences. He used his own bank card to pay the fines, but intercepted his victim's mail and admitted the offences on her behalf. It was only after the woman reported a separate incident to police that the allegations came to light. Duncan had been caught speeding on the A22 in Whyteleafe in May 2016 and on the A22 in East Grinstead in August 2017. He also ran a red light in Norwood Road in London on February 21, 2017. He pleaded guilty to three counts of perverting the course of justice at Lewes Crown Court on Tuesday 8 December, where he was sentenced to 255 days’ imprisonment and further disqualified from driving for 24 months.
Christopher Light, 42, was caught breaking into a car just days after being convicted of similar offences. Light, of Broadbridge Heath, was given a 12-month community order on December 21 after being found guilty of four counts of vehicle interference. But just a week later, on December 28, he was witnessed rummaging through the glovebox of a car in Ellis Road. He was arrested and found to be in possession of a bank card belonging to someone else. Light was charged with vehicle interference, theft of a bank card and breach of a community order and jailed for 32 weeks on December 30.
A collaborative effort from agencies across Sussex brought prolific offender Glenn Waters to justice. The 34-year-old, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to five counts of criminal damage in Shoreham between October 15 and 16, two counts of stalking involving fear of violence on September 27 and October 16, and one count of theft from a motorcycle on October 16. He was also convicted of one count of assault in Hove on January 24, 2019, for which he had failed to appear at court on November 12 last year. He was arrested on the A27 near Emsworth on November 24 after missing the court hearing. Waters was jailed for 42 weeks on November 30. Detective Sergeant Stuart McAdams of West Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit said: "Glenn Waters is no stranger to us, having been convicted of a number of other offences in the past few years. This outcome was the result of a big team effort across the force in West Sussex, including CID, response officers and our intel team as well as the SIU
Fifty-eight-year-old Ian Bryan was jailed for 14 years after stabbing a 17-year-old boy in St Leonards. Bryan, of St Margaret's Road, was involved in an altercation in his home road around 9.26pm on April 22. His two victims, aged 17 and 32, were staying next door while working in the area. Earlier, the group argued after Bryan challenged them for being there during lockdown and, after they left at 8pm, Bryan called the police to report them for breaching Covid-19 regulations. Shortly after 9.26pm, Bryan banged on their front door and attacked the 17-year-old when he answered, causing a serious wound to his neck. The second victim fought him off and also suffered a minor injury to his leg. The victims ran outside and called an ambulance. Police and paramedics attended. Bryan was found in possession of two knives and after refusing to drop them, was tasered and arrested. He was found not guilty of two counts of attempted murder, but guilty of wounding with intent and attempted wounding with intent.
Jayesh Gobar, 36, of Moorland Road in Crawley, was found guilty of murdering Nelly Myers in a 'vicious and sustained attack'. On December 18, 2019, police forced entry into 58-year-old Nelly's home in Rotherfield after her son raised the alarm she had not replied to phone messages. They found Nelly's body in the hallway, having suffered multiple injuries including blunt force trauma to her head, neck and chest. Witnesses said they had heard shouting from the address and Gobar, Nelly's on-off partner, was arrested the following afternoon. His clothing was found to have Nelly's blood on them, The court heard Gobar had been in Nelly's home prior to her death, when an 'altercation' occurred. After bludgeoning her to death, he called a taxi to take him home. Gobar was sentenced to life in prison, to serve a minimum of 27 years, after a jury unanimously found him guilty at Hove Crown Court on December 16.
Kyle Searle, 31, of Peary Close in Horsham, was jailed for three years over drug offences. On March 21, 2019, officers on patrol saw Searle carry out a drug deal in an alleyway between Park Way and Park Place. He was arrested at his home on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a class B drug (cannabis), but a property search found a variety of class A drugs. He was further arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug (cocaine), possession of a Class A drug (MDMA) and possession of a Class B drug (Amphetamine). Drugs with an estimated street value between £16,000 and £17,450 were seized. He pleaded guilty to all four offences and sentenced to 31 months in prison at Lewes Crown Court on November 26. While out on bail, he was caught dealing drugs and arrested again on June 12, 2020. Another search of his home found cannabis and cocaine worth up to £5,460. He had another five months added to his sentence.
Luke Vicarey, 23, was caught driving at 42mph in a 30mph zone in Cooden Drive, Bexhill but, when an officer signalled for him to stop, he sped off at 70mph. After being located at Wallsend roundabout, Vicarey made off westbound along the A27 Pevensey Bypass, making dangerous overtakes forcing others to take evasive action. The pursuit had to be called off, but he was tracked by traffic cameras heading towards Hastings. Officers waited for him on Combe Valley Way and, at around 8.20am, Vicarey spotted them and tried to escape again. Police made tactical contact with his car and arrested him. Vicarey, of Albert Road, was charged with two counts of driving a motor vehicle dangerously, two counts of failing to stop a vehicle when directed to do so by police, driving while disqualified, using a motor vehicle on a road without third party insurance, exceeding a 30mph speed limit and fraudulently using a registration mark. He was sentenced to 12 months in prison on December 18 and disqualified from driving for 30 m
Forty-eight-year-old Mark Wilkinson was jailed at the beginning of December for setting fire to several bins in Brighton. Wilkinson, of Brighton Road in Crawley, was charged with three counts of arson after fire crews extinguished bins in central Brighton on November 29 and 30. He pleaded guilty to the offences at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, December 2 and was sentenced to six months in prison. Detective Inspector Glenn Taylor said: "Deliberately starting fires is extremely dangerous and it is fortunate that nobody was hurt as a result of these incidents. Wilkinson caused multiple fires in busy areas with no regard for the safety and welfare of the local community which is completely unacceptable. We are pleased the courts have acknowledged the seriousness of these offences by jailing him for six months."
These three people were jailed after stealing a £12,000 watch from a shop in Brighton in October. Florentin Niculae, 46, of no fixed address, George Paun, 29, of no fixed address, and Stela Sava, 23, of Boundary Road in London, appeared at Lewes Crown Court on December 17 where they all pleaded guilty to theft. In addition, Niculae pleaded guilty to assault and Paun pleaded guilty to dangerous driving. On October 7 at 2.15pm, Sava and Niculae went into a shop in London Road, Brighton, while Paul waited outside in a Mercedes. They stole the watch and fled to the car, but Niculae assaulted the pursuing shop owner. He was then dragged along the ground by the car as it sped off. Police caught the vehicle leaving Brighton on the A23 and quickly arrested all three and recovered the watch. Niculae was sentenced to 22 months imprisonment, Paun was sentenced to 20 months imprisonment and Sava was sentenced to four months imprisonment.
Paul Tully, 37, of Ash Grove in Bognor Regis, was arrested for burglary in November, after which officers discovered he had also committed separate fraud offences. Police were called to Victoria Drive in Bognor at 4.50am on November 3, to reports of a man breaking into a property. A suspect, Tully, was quickly arrested and a window pane near the front door was found to have been broken. He pleaded guilty to burglary and to a separate fraud by misrepresentation after he was found to have been using somebody else's bank card at a supermarket. He was jailed for 36 months at Portsmouth Crown Court on December 2. Detective Sergeant Ali Hutchings said; "This outcome was the result of a big team effort across our local CID and Response teams, resulting in another burglar being brought to justice."
Elderly Brighton man Ronald William Parker, 82, was jailed for 18 years for sexual offences against two boys between the 1960s and 1980s. Parker, of Lavender Street, Brighton, befriended one of the boys who was fishing on Brighton beach before assaulting him at his home. He took both boys away for camping trips, where he assaulted both of them. On December 7, Parker pleaded guilty to all offences and was jailed for 18 years and added to the sex offenders' list indefinitely. He was also given a sexual harm prevention order severely restricting him from any contact with children. The court also heard that Parker had previously been sentenced twice for similar offences. He was given five years in 1977, and 15 months in the 1980s after he assaulted a boy he had befriended.