UPDATE: Worthing Hospital power cut
THE mains electricity supply has now been fully restored to Worthing Hospital after a power cut overnight.
The hospital operated on back-up generator power until it was reconnected by UK Power Networks at 12.45pm. Power had been lost soon after 10pm last night (Thursday, November 10).
Some of this morning’s (Friday, November 11) outpatient clinics and routine operations were disrupted as a result, and neighbouring hospitals accepted emergency admissions during the outage. However, patients with afternoon appointments were able to attend at Worthing as clinics returned
The hospital’s back-up generators enabled essential services to be maintained throughout the power cut and the efforts of staff meant the care of patients on the wards was unaffected.
Deputy chief executive Jane Farrell said: “We know we can always depend on our staff when this kind of unexpected incident occurs, and they all responded brilliantly to ensure patients were kept safe and that all essential services continued running.”
Patient Carol Laskey said: “I didn’t notice at first – I thought it was subtle lighting! The staff still managed to make us all hot lunches and drinks.”
Western Sussex Hospitals Trust will be contacting anybody affected by the power cut to rearrange appointments, and extends its thanks to everyone for their patience and support.
Jane Farrell said: “I’d like to thank all patients affected by the power cut for their patience and understanding, and also our colleagues at neighbouring hospitals, in the ambulance service and in primary care for their assistance and support.”
The cause of the power cut is now being investigated by UK Power Networks.