'No Rishi Sunak - we don't want another Eat Out To Help Out scheme' say Sussex readers

Following news that Rishi Sunak, Chancellor of the Exchequer, has not entirely ruled out the possibility of another Eat Out To Help Out type scheme after England's second lockdown, we asked our Sussex Facebook readers whether they would welcome a similar scheme again.

Friday, 13th November 2020, 5:37 pm

The answer was no by the vast majority of those who commented.

Shaun Toby Lyon on the Worthing Herald Facebook page said: "No. It was a nightmare working the days when this was on previously. People very unsupportive, rude, impatient etc.

Would be better to allow hospitality venues to do it off their own back should they choose to."

The question posed to readers this week

Anne Boxwell wrote: "No, those who choose to eat out should pay the correct price help the business without everyone crowding out places and causing more problems."

Similarly Alison Shaw wrote on the West Sussex County Times page: "No, but only because they don't need to. People will be desperate to get out by then, and as it's Christmas I'd hope the restaurants will be busy anyway."

Phil Goddard wrote on the Eastbourne Herald Facebook page: "Why not wait until it's actually safe to do so this time so that we don't cause a lockdown 3,4 or 5!!"

While Richard Ashby said on the Chichester Observer page: "The last wheeze contributed to a significant increase in infections. Great idea."

And on the Hastings Observer page Zena Brooker wrote: "Definitely NOT! That could be partly why we are where we are now."

In fact, this fear that it contributed to the second wave and would lead to further lockdowns was reiterated many times.

Many readers suggested other ways the government could spend the money.

Eric Harmer suggested the money could be used to pay nurses' registration fees, while others said the money would be better used to help feed school children during the school holidays.

Mark Severs wrote on the Eastbourne Herald page: "Hospitality needs help, but driving in the masses isn’t the right type of help. Contributing to rent payments would be more helpful I would have thought."

Some readers were a little bit more positive.

Ann Galloway wrote: "I think yes, but not straight after the lockdown, maybe during next summer when hopefully the vaccine will of kicked in. The weather should be better so we won't all be crammed inside with heating etc on."

While Jo Steadman wrote: "Have a feeling they will introduce as they know most will go nuts and spend spend , spend ... boosting economy in a short sharp way !! That said numbers of covid will probably rise and guess what ? We shall then be blamed ... Must say I wouldn’t say no to a meal if precautionary measures are in place."

Meanwhile Sharon Smethem said she had used the scheme last time and that it had encouraged her to try different restaurants while on the West Sussex County Times page Gary Rollingson wrote: "Only if they sensibly manage it this time! 1 voucher (not worried how it's done) per person per week or every two weeks and for 6 months not 4 weeks this time. That way not a mad rush but a continual method of encouraging people to go out during winter."