Raiders slip to narrow loss against Redruth

Worthing Raiders Rugby Club slipped to their first home defeat of the year after a 10-8 reverse against Redruth on Saturday.

Thursday, 24th March 2016, 9:00 am
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:20 am
Action from Raiders' game with Redruth on Saturday

After their disappointing display against Chinnor a couple of weeks ago, Raiders provided an excellent performance in the narrow defeat, although they will be ruing the lost opportunities they created to win the game.

Raiders started strongly and took the lead after only three minutes through a Matt McLean penalty.

McLean pushed another penalty just wide on 23 minutes, before Redruth took the lead six minutes later. The visitors drove 20 metres from a line-out and second row Luke Hattam touched down, with David Mankee adding the extras.

That rejuvenated Redruth and they put Raiders under intense pressure and camped on their line for the next few minutes but Raiders defended brilliantly, which included a try saving tackle in the corner.

Raiders started the second half at 100 miles per hour and went straight on the attack.

They twice kicked penalties to the corner but were unable to win the line-outs on both occasions. They maintained the pressure and launched a wave of six drives on the Redruth line which were defended well. Their hard endeavours were brought to an end when they were penalised for diving into the ruck.

Worthing were awarded another penalty 12 minutes into the half when Redruth lost their scrum-half to the sinbin. They kicked the ball for the corner for a five metre line-out. While the line-out was again disrupted, Scott Barlow tidied up and from the resultant drive and ruck Dan Peach picked up and sprinted ten metres before before passing inside to Tom Margetson, who drove over to score. The conversion missed but Raiders moved 8-7 ahead.

A couple of minutes later Peach was sent to the sinbin for stamping, which left both sides down to 14 men. Redruth suddenly came to life but Raiders had the opportunity to extend their lead with a penalty but Sean O’Hagan’s attempt went wide.

Redruth responded well and during a promising attack involving their backs, Raiders’ McLean was penalised for an early tackle for which he was sinbinned and Raiders found themselves down to 14 again.

Mankee kicked the penalty from 25 metres to give Redruth the lead again.

Worthing launched a series of five drives from a line-out on 73 minutes but were stopped short on the Redruth line by some excellent defensive work and eventually Redruth turned the ball over to clear their lines.

Raiders continued to attack in the final minutes but Redruth defended well to hold on for the win.

RAIDERS: Storer, Luke, Sargent, Barlow, White, Smith, Watson-Brooks, Perkins; Peach, O’Hagan, Montgomery, Richards, Loosmore, McLean, Leeming. Subs: Elliott, Arthur, Margetson, Richardson, Maslen.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.