Raiders end Dorking’s winning run

Kieran Leeming touched down Raiders' opening try against Dorking
Kieran Leeming touched down Raiders' opening try against Dorking

WORTHING Raiders Rugby Club ended Dorking’s 14-match winning run in National 2 South with a 32-27 victory this afternoon.

The win came on the back of Raiders’ 30-7 win over Henley Hawks last Saturday, which ended the leaders’ unbeaten start to the season.

The game was entertaining throughout and the visitors led 19-17 at half-time.

Dorking’s Matthew Noble kicked a penalty wide after two minutes, before Raiders went ahead through a Matt McLean penalty four minutes later.

Raiders then put Dorking under a spell of pressure and, with the visitors’ William Crow in the sinbin, they touched down their first try. Calum Waters worked the ball to Kieran Leeming, who skipped past the last man to touch down. McLean’s conversion gave Worthing a 10-0 lead after 15 minutes.

Dorking responded immediately, with Crow still in the sinbin, as Cameron Cowell’s quick pass released Ryan Jeffrey to touch down and Noble added the extras.

Dorking went ahead for the first time after 30 minutes when Crow went over, after the ball had gone forward off Ross Grimstone’s knee. Noble’s conversion made the score 14-10.

Just three minutes later, Worthing moved back ahead as an excellent move saw Rob Smith find Alex Nielsen, who sprinted over and McLean’s conversion made the score 17-14.

In the last play of the half, Dorking took the lead again. Crow broke forward from a line-out and fed Oliver Edwards, who dived over but Noble was unable to convert.

Dorking increased their lead four minutes into the second half when they drove forward from a line-out and Edwards touched down his second of the game.

Noble was unable to convert and Raiders had Nielsen sinbinned and Dorking’s Crow was red-carded for a second yellow card on 47 minutes.

Worthing began to up the temp around the hour mark and got their third try of the game on 66 minutes. Nielsen brilliantly burst forward and released Harry Forrest, who sprinted through to touch down but McLean’s conversion went wide.

Raiders moved ahead on 71 minutes when they brilliantly worked the ball forward - with Leeming, McLean, Forrest and Nielsen all involved - before Jamie Redmayne touched down.

McLean’s conversion put Worthing 29-24 in front.

With four minutes to go, Raiders extended their lead when McLean kicked over a penalty.

Noble kicked a penalty over with a minute to go as Dorking ensured they would pick up a losing bonus point - along with the four-try bonus point.