It's another 6-2 nightmare for Oak

FOR THE second successive week, Mile Oak FC were hit for six at home to all but end any slim hopes they still had of catching the top three.

Saturday, 24th February 2007, 6:49 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 11:44 pm

The defeat leaves them 11 points behind third-placed Pagham and Oak have played three games more.

At home to St Francis Rangers last week, several individual errors gifted Rangers five of their goals. On Saturday, Oak were caught out by the long ball on numerous occasions and lost keeper Ashley Walker to a hamstring injury in the first half, with striker Dave Ayre taking over in goal.

When Seaford's Tom Callaghan opened the scpring on 21 minutes, he should have been celebrating his hat-trick. He had shot two one-on-one opportunities wide before he made it third time lucky with a clipped finish past Walker following a long ball from defence.

Seaford added a second 11 minutes later. Chris Stanyard was brought down by Walker and Steve Porter, covering on the goalline, saved Walker a red card. Roy Ranger converted the spot-kick.

Things got even worse for Oak three minutes later when Seaford made it 3-0. Nathan Scarfield crossed for the unmarked Ben Dartnell to head home.

Five minutes before half-time, Walker limped off and Ayre, who has played in goal before for Sussex Sunday League side D'orve Phaltseo, took over between the sticks.

Seaford could have had another penalty in first-half stoppage time when Stanyard went down under a challenge by Chris Pulling but it did not take them long in the second half to get a fourth.

Ayre dropped a free kick and Callaghan tapped home from close range.

Oak's had their first meaningful shot on 51 minutes when Jamie Ash's effort was tipped around the post.

Five minutes later, Oak pulled a goal back when Ash's scuffed shot from Scott Carden's corner was turned in by Paul Eaton for his 21st goal of the season.

Within six minutes, Oak began to think about an unlikely comeback. Carden scored following a team-move involving Mark Henry, Ash and Craig Hall.

Any ideas of getting back into the match were extinguished 17 minutes from time, though, when Mark Doherty netted with Oak appealing for offside. Dartnell added a sixth, his second, with time running out.

MILE OAK: Walker; Fleming, Lansdale, Porter, Sargent; Hall, Henry, Pulling, Ash; Ayre, Eaton. Subs: Carden (Walker 40), W.Whittington (Henry 72), O'Regan (Pulling 76), Paine.