Wickers win at Burgess Hill

Southwick boss John Kilgarriff
Southwick boss John Kilgarriff

SOUTHWICK Football Club recorded their fourth straight win in all competitions with victory at Burgess Hill & Hurst Albion in the County League Division 3 on Saturday.

Wickers last tasted defeated last month with an away reverse at Langney Wanderers but since then they have three league successes and a Sussex Intermediate Cup triumph.

Southwick boss John Kilgarriff was delighted with the win and said: “The main aim for us was to make sure we came away with three points from this game and that is what we did.

“Burgess Hill can sometimes be a really difficult place to go so for us to go there and win it was great.

“It could well had been more convincing but we just failed to take our chances, otherwise it may well have been four or five.

“It’s been a difficult period for us with a few players missing and we have had to take some reserve and younger players to the matches, but in fairness to them they have come in and done a great job.

“It’s a case of keeping that good run up now.”

It was Southwick who began the brighter and took the lead on ten minutes as Alex Sarkies crashed home a left-foot shot.

Marcus Strevens twice came close to extending his side’s lead before the interval but he saw both efforts strike the post.

Southwick did manage to double their lead when Sarkies was brought down and the referee pointed to the spot.

Sarkies then slammed home the resulting penalty to make it two.

Cameron McClymont nearly made it three on 70 minutes but his header went just wide of the goal.

Southwick’s Dean Smith shot just wide late on as Wickers took all three points.

Southwick will be hoping to make it five wins on the bounce when they host Newhaven Reserves in the Sussex Intermediate Cup fourth round on Saturday.

SOUTHWICK: Bridge; C.McClymont, W.McClymont, May, Lipscombe; Turrell, Barlow, Smith; Sarkies, Gillard, Donnelly. Subs: Strevens (Gillard), Presslie (Barlow), Clayton (W.McClymont), Stenning, Hudson.