Town cap off campaign with win over Seaford

Lewis Levoi bagged a brace as Steyning ended their league season with a 4-2 win against Seaford
Lewis Levoi bagged a brace as Steyning ended their league season with a 4-2 win against Seaford

Steyning Town Football Club capped off their Southern Combination League Division 1 season with a 4-2 home success over Seaford Town on Saturday.

Town were made to work for their victory, though, with already-relegated Seaford twice coming from a goal down to level things at 1-1 and 2-2.

But strikes from Lewis Levoi and Lee Garnham in the final 25 minutes ensured Steyning edged a six-goal thriller.

Town boss Alan Skipper, who completed his first season in charge on Saturday, felt it was the perfect way to end an up-and-down campaign.

He said: “It was a perfect end to the season.

“We played some lovely football and were, in my opinion, totally dominant.

“The players’ attitude on the day was superb, not only did they go about their business focused and determined, they also did it with a smile on their faces.

“The biggest enjoyment had to be the talented youngsters who were given a chance.

“We had six first-team players away on the day so some of the younger guys were given a chance.

“We had at least six in the squad under the age of 19 and one of those had only just turned 17 and he made his full first-team debut.

“All of the young lads did really well and never looked out of place. These youngsters were superbly supported by the senior players on the day.

“Steyning is starting to become a place for a youngster to play and opportunities are there for them if they want to work hard and, at times, be patient.”

Town went ahead on 20 minutes when Myles Hull-Flower found the net.

Seaford would not go away, though, and they got back on terms 11 minutes later.

Talal Altelmesani capitalised on an error in the Steyning backline before firing past Ben Rose.

Levoi then got the first of his two goals five minutes prior to half-time to ensure Town went in with a 2-1 lead.

Seaford refused to give up their fight for a final day result and were level once more on 56 minutes courtesy of Billy Pout’s strike.

Town were being made to work hard for all three points but they took a massive step towards them with 25 minutes left.

Levoi netted his second of the contest as Steyning went in front for a third time on the afternoon.

A final day triumph was then all but secured with Garnham netting in second half stoppage-time.

Skipper wants to improve off-the-field as well as on it during the summer.

He said: “We will be looking to strengthen not only the playing side but the management throughout.

“We are in search of a new reserve team manager and coaches. The senior side are also looking to add another coach to assist our head coach, plus a physiotherapist would not go amiss.”

STEYNING: Rose; Hare, Hull-Flower, Finch, Early; Clark, Dodd, Skipper, Levoi; Garnham; Taylor. Subs: Capper (Skipper), Stevens (Hare), Gritt.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @Shoreham_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Shoreham Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.