Southwick have the double in their sights

Alex Sarkies netted his 14th goal of the season in Southwick's win away to Ifield on Saturday
Alex Sarkies netted his 14th goal of the season in Southwick's win away to Ifield on Saturday
  • Southwick edged closer to the Division 3 title with this emphatic success
  • Wickers need to beat Ferring in their last game on Saturday to be crowned champions

SOUTHWICK Football Club moved to the brink of the County League Division 3 title with a thumping win away to Ifield on Saturday.

Wickers will be crowned champions with victory at home to second-from-bottom Ferring on Saturday, before the club could clinch the double on Tuesday when they meet Arundel Reserves in the final of the Sussex Intermediate Cup at Lancing (7.30pm).

Southwick boss John Kilgarriff is looking forward to an exciting end to the season and said: “It was a really good performance against Ifield and was probably the best we’ve played all season.

“We made a really quick start and the game was all over at half-time when we were 4-0 ahead and we could have had 11. We’re one win away from winning the title now and will have earned it the right way if we do.

“The cup final is at the back of our minds at the moment. We’re all focusing on the league title but it’s the club’s first cup final for 13 years and we’re looking forward to it.

“Arundel will be a good side and we don’t know what team they’ll have out and if any first team players will be involved.

“We can’t do anything about that, though, so will just go out there and give it our best.”

Wickers took the lead at Ifield on 20 minutes when the Ifield keeper spilled a Danny Clayton cross into his own goal.

Southwick doubled their advantage just five minutes later when Elliott Finney played Alex Sarkies in and he fired home his 14th goal of the season.

Tom Donnelly made it 3-0 on 27 minutes with a fine shot from the edge of the penalty area after a one-two with George Turrell.

Danny Clayton then got the fourth in a 12-minute spell when he tapped the ball home after Sarkies squared it to him.

Wickers had several opportunities to score more in the first half but they did add a fifth a minute into the second half when Marcus Strevens netted from Turrell’s long ball forward.

Substitute Ricky Neenan then completed the scoring with his first goal for the club from Sarkies’ pass three minutes from time.

SOUTHWICK: Bridge; W.McClymont, C.McClymont, Smith, R.Clayton; Strevens, Donnelly, Turrell, Finney; Sarkies, D.Clayton. Subs: Barlow, Neenan (Finney, D.Clayton 50), Gillard (Strevens 65), Pryor.