Southwick ‘buzzing’ after Vase victory

Ben May
Ben May

SOUTHWICK Football Club continued their impressive start to the season when they caused a upset in the FA Vase on Saturday.

Wickers picked up £600 for the win after they overcame Combined Counties League Premier Division side Dorking – who are the equivalent of two divisions above the Old Barn Way outfit – and sealed their progress into the second qualifying round, where they will entertain Lordswood.

Manager John Kilgarriff was delighted with his team’s performance and admitted he just wanted his side to compete with their higher-ranked opponents.

He said: “I just wanted us to stay in the game for as long as we could and make it difficult for them but I never expected us to win against a team leagues higher than us. I’m very proud of my team and the players are absolutely buzzing.

“I thought we deserved to win as we should have been 2-0 up before they scored but our heads never dropped and the attitude of the players was fantastic. It’s a great day for us and I’m completely chuffed.”

Both sides came out looking to attack from the off but it was Wickers who should have gone ahead as they spurned a gilt-edged chance after only four minutes.

Kieron Gillard’s long throw was flicked on by Dave Barlow and the ball dropped to Richard Hudson, unmarked six yards out, but he could only hook his effort over the bar.

Ben Presslie saw his low effort pushed behind and Wickers were made to rue those early missed opportunities as the visitors went ahead on ten minutes.

Dorking striker Darren Titre-Wilson was felled by Southwick defender Neil Harris as he attempted to clear and Kieran Lunn despatched the penalty clinically.

Lunn was denied a second by a good save from Jason Bridge and Titre-Wilson had a strike ruled out for offside.

Southwick continued to look dangerous, though, and Hudson almost restored parity with a point-blank range header which was well saved by visiting keeper Michael Fowler.

The equaliser duly arrived merely seconds later, though, as Ben May slotted in from close range after a goalmouth scramble from a corner on 37 minutes.

Just before the interval, Dorking went back ahead. A long ball picked out Titre-Wilson in the box, the first shot was blocked but his persistance paid off as he rifled the loose ball home into the roof of the net to restore the visitors’ advantage.

Four minutes into the second half, Southwick pulled themselves level for a second time. Hudson, a thorn in Dorking’s side throughout, cut the ball back to Dean Smith for a tap in.

Having drawn level, Wickers then edged ahead for the first time in the tie on the hour mark. It came in slightly fortuitous circumstances as Vigan Rexhepi attempted to head clear a Gillard cross but only succeeded in looping the ball past his stranded keeper.

Hudson saw his superb chipped effort tipped over and Gillard was denied a match- sealing fourth by Frankie Law’s clearance as Southwick ended the game the stronger.

Dorking resorted to hopeful long balls to try to break down Wickers’ solid defensive line, but they could only muster a couple of half-chances as Southwick held on.

SOUTHWICK: Bridge; W.McClymont, May, Harris, Lipscombe; Hudson, Smith, Barlow, Gillard; Sarkies, Presslie. Subs: Finney (Barlow 55), Sharpe (Presslie 78), Corrigan (McClymont 84), Russell, C.McClymont.