Oak remain in the hunt for promotion

Richard Hudson (right) scored twice in Mile Oak's win at Oakwood on Saturday
Richard Hudson (right) scored twice in Mile Oak's win at Oakwood on Saturday

MILE OAK Football Club continued their push for promotion with victory at Oakwood on Saturday.

Oak remained fifth in the table but moved six points clear of Oakwood, who have three games in hand.

Oak still sit five points behind third-placed AFC Uckfield, who occupy the final promotion spot and who they travel to on Saturday.

A brace from Richard Hudson and a Aaron Ransom strike took Oak to a third successive win.

Oak boss Anthony Whittington knows the importance of Saturday’s fixture at Uckfield and said: “We have been in good form of late and that’s our third straight win.

“Richard has been great since he joined the club and he bagged another two on Saturday.

“This has now set up a huge battle at Uckfield this weekend, which we know we have to take all three points from.

“We have played well against teams in and around us this season, so we will go into the game with confidence.

“I think we have to win all of our remaining matches and then hope that Uckfield slip up.

“It’s going to be a difficult task to clinch promotion but all we can do is concentrate on ourselves.

“To still be in with a chance of going up at this stage is great and we will give it a good go to try to achieve that.”

Ransom fired Oak in front 14 minutes into the match with a fine solo effort.

Oak continued to dominate for the rest of the half but Hudson, Andy McDowell and Lloyd Skinner all wasted chances to double their advantage.

Hudson did make it 2-0 just a minute after the break, though, with a crisp right-footed shot into the bottom corner.

Oakwood responded well to going two goals down and pulled one back nine minutes later through Clive Piller.

The home side nearly levelled the score five minutes later but Aaron Stenning pulled of a fine stop to ensure his side remained ahead.

Oak made sure of all three points 15 minutes from time when Hudson bagged his second.

MILE OAK: Stenning; Turley-George, Hall, Watts, Marsh; Skinner, Garrod, French, Ransom; McDowell, Hudson. Subs: Koroma (McDowell), Pulling (Garrod), McDonald (Skinner).