Donnelly happy with form, but wants a change in luck

Shoreham celebrate taking the lead against Faversham. Picture by David Jeffery Photography
Shoreham celebrate taking the lead against Faversham. Picture by David Jeffery Photography

Shoreham Football Club boss Sammy Donnelly is pleased with his side’s recent form but is still hoping for a change in luck.

The strugglers are scrapping for points down at the bottom of the Bostik League South Division but manager Donnelly is not putting that down to his side’s performances.


Donnelly said the form of his team is not bad, however they are just not getting the breaks they deserve.


He said: “We’re getting 80 per cent of the things right, we just need to improve on the other 20 per cent.


“I am pleased with the way things are going but there is always room for improvement and then we’ll start getting them three points.”


Mussels clinched a vital point in a 1-1 draw against Faversham on Saturday.


Shoreham were gifted an early advantage as Faversham’s number nine, Carl Rock, was dismissed before the 20-minute mark.


Forward Nick Collyer gave Mussels the lead in the 32nd minute.


On the hour mark Faversham squandered the opportunity to equalise as they missed a penalty.


But with just three minutes to go Faversham’s Ashley Miller equalised with a shot from outside the penalty area which sailed into the top left corner.


That was the last action of the game and the final whistle sounded.


Despite his side being bottom of the league, Donnelly saw this draw as a vital point gained.


He said: “All points are vital in the position we are in.


“It’s a point gained instead of two lost. We played well. Everyone played their part but we just couldn’t put our chances away.


“We should have got all three points on Saturday. We ended up with a point but that’s a point more than what we had.”


Donnelly’s focus will now be on their upcoming games at home to Carshalton on Saturday and at Cray Wanderers on Boxing Day.


Despite the usual factors the festive season brings, Donnelly is confident his side can remain focussed and professional while saying he ‘trusts’ his players.


He said: “At the end of the day, at the level we are playing at we should be professional. I’m sure my players understand that.”


Despite releasing three players, Donnelly has signed three youth players with the intention of using them this year but more importantly looking to develop them for next season.


Shoreham’s Velocity Trophy match at Brentwood Town was postponed on Tuesday evening.


SHOREHAM: Broadbent; Bullivant, Gates, Hand, Odofin, Gathern, Myers, Whitmore, Gaskin, Lyle, Collyer. Subs: Robinson, Herbert, Diakesse, Tavares, Weedon.