Your front page article (Steyning Herald, July 9) reported that when the dog Poppy was hit by a car she was “being walked by a friend”.
This was accurately reported but unfortunately some of your dog-walker readers, ignorant of the full facts, who were used to seeing Poppy walked regularly in Upper Beeding by my wife, have assumed her to be the “friend” concerned and have been publicly directing spiteful and hateful comments to her, which she has been too upset to rebut.
The fact not reported, nor should it have been necessary to do so, was that when the sad accident occurred the dog was being taken for a run by a man on holiday from Spain, who, with the approval of the owner, frequently took Poppy for walks when he was staying in Upper Beeding.
Your readers may be excused for jumping to the wrong conclusion from what they read but their behaviour is not excusable and, in the light of more complete information, their unfair and hurtful remarks must cease.
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Shoreham Herald, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.shorehamherald.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ShorehamHerald
3) Follow us on Twitter @Shoreham_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Shoreham Herald – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.