In the caption to the picture of the Adur Civic Centre, on page five of last week’s Shoreham Herald (June 25), you state: “The office may look baron now...”
Could you let your readers know what it will look like in future – possibly an earl or a duke?
I am, of course, aware that misprints have often appeared in newspapers in the past, but the majority were as a result of errors by compositors working under pressure to meet deadlines.
In this case, it would appear to be ignorance on the part of a writer who does not know the difference between the words ‘baron’ (a peer of the realm) and ‘barren’ (unproductive or unused).
I would have thought that a sound knowledge of the English language was an essential requirement for a newspaper reporter, but it would seem that this is no longer the case.
R I Vaughan
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Shoreham Herald, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.shorehamherald.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ShorehamHerald
3) Follow us on Twitter @Shoreham_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Shoreham Herald – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.