With the council having to go cap in hand for money to maintain front-line services is a sorry state to be in.
Having assets that generate income for front-line services is the solution.
Council housing is not just providing homes for people on the waiting list, it is also a major source of revenue.
One thousand properties rented out at £100 a week, which is reasonable for a two bed flat, will generate an annual income £5 million a year every year.
A ten storey block of flats will provide 120 homes and will fit on a piece of land the size of a football pitch.
That is the £4 million shortfall sorted and the housing waiting list cleared.
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Shoreham Herald, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.shorehamherald.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ShorehamHerald
3) Follow us on Twitter @Shoreham_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Shoreham Herald – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.