AS THE chill of winter inches ever closer, the fire service has launched a fresh warning, urging residents to be careful when using candles.
The advice comes after a house blaze in Burgess Hill last night (Tuesday, December 9), where an unattended candle in the lounge sparked a fire which caused extensive smoke damage.
The woman living in the home had left the candle lit while she was upstairs attending to her two children.
She did not hear the single fire alarm downstairs which had activated.
The alert was only raised after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm and shouted through the letter box.
The family fled the house safely.
Both children and their mother were treated for smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital by ambulance.
As a result of this incident, the fire service is urging residents to ensure that their homes have a fire alarm fitted on every level.
For more top tips on how to use candles safely, click here.