Firefighters have tackled a blaze at Worthing’s Teville Gate site.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called shortly after 1.30pm with reports of a fire in the Bed King mattress shop. Three fire engines were sent to the scene and crews put out the fire.
A fire service spokesperson said: “A fire was reported in a building at Teville Gate with two floors that were formerly shops and flats. The fire was on the first floor and a hose reel, covering jet and breathing apparatus were in use.”
Witness reports suggested that smoke was billowing out of the shop windows.
One woman at the scene said: “Me and my friend went into Morrisons to get some shopping and we were sat outside the store.
“We saw the smoke and in the end we had to move because the smoke was getting too thick to see what was happening.”
The smoke was getting too thick to see what was happeningA witness
Sussex Police and the ambulance service were also at the scene.
There were initial concerns that people may have been in the building, though a fire service spokesperson later confirmed the building was empty and no-one was injured in the blaze.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.