The flat blaze in Worthing earlier today stemmed from a burning window frame, according to the fire service.
A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue said they received a call just before midday reporting a smell of burning at a flat in Western Place, Worthing.
The call came from a concerned neighbour, who believed the flat’s inhabitants to be trapped inside because a buggy was outside their door.
Two fire engines from Worthing and one from Shoreham were deployed.
The spokesperson added: “We can confirm the fire was started accidentally in a sash window, and the most likely cause is from smoking materials.
“We believe they weren’t properly extinguished and were disposed of out the window. It is an old sash window that was quite degraded and a slow burn was started.”
The teams extinguished the fire at just after 12.05pm and other people in the building didn’t have to be evacuated.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.