Portslade kitchen fire sparks safety warning
Firefighters are urging the public to make sure their kitchen appliances are well maintained following a fire in Portslade this morning (June 8).
Crews from Hove and Preston Circus were called out at 8.35am to a property in Drove Close.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “It is believed a faulty cooker caused a fire behind the control switches. Crews used a CO2 extinguisher to put the fire out. Firefighters then carried out a home safety visit, which helps members of the public better understand how to prevent fires in their homes.”
The fire service issued the following advice:
- All appliances in the home should be checked for signs of wear and tear on a regular basis. Look out for frayed wires, signs of scorching and other damage. If in doubt, don’t use them
- Remember only Gas Safe registered engineers can work on gas and fit, fix and service boilers, gas fires and most types of gas cookers in your home. The register can be found here
- Electrical appliances, especially ones that run at high speeds and contain motors, like washing machines, should be serviced once a year by a qualified electrician.
- You can register your electrical appliance, and get alerts if there are recalls, here
- Check your smoke alarms on a regular basis – if they don’t work, replace them or the batteries