Vans and pickup trucks to be allowed in West Sussex rubbish tips again

West Sussex County Council is opening up its rubbish tips for more vehicles from tomorrow (Saturday May 23).

Friday, 22nd May 2020, 4:52 pm
Updated Wednesday, 27th May 2020, 9:57 am
West Sussex rubbish tips reopened to the public last Monday

Vans and pickup trucks will be allowed to enter sites, but trailers will still not permitted due to the need for social distancing and to limit queues.

Currently the sites are accepting just two waste streams; household black bag type waste and green garden waste only.

General household waste (or “black bag” waste) is the types of items that are collected in your kerbside collection such as food or non-recyclable packaging, and does not include electrical items, textiles, bulky items, furniture or general recycling.

Plans are being drawn up to accept a wider range of materials and more information on this will be published next week.

Residents are still asked to only visit sites if their journey is necessary and their waste is not suitable for kerbside collection.

Social distancing measures are in place at all sites which means a smaller number of people will be allowed in at one time which could result in long queues.

Deborah Urquhart, West Sussex County Council cabinet Member for environment, said: “I would like to thank all West Sussex residents for their patience at this time.

“We appreciate it is frustrating not to be able to dispose of waste and I am pleased we are now able to allow vans into the sites.

“Sites are likely to be busy so I would ask residents to consider whether their journey is necessary. If you can continue to safely store items at home, please do so.”

This comes as some have expressed frustration at the limited types of waste which can be disposed of at sites.

One West Sussex resident described how their partner had been turned away on the first day tips reopened with general rubbish generated from a clear-out and a bag of weeds with bits of soil.

He questioned the clarity of the original information on what would be accepted, adding: “It seems ridiculous to open the tips for general household waste but only take food waste, non-recyclable packaging and clippings.”

Meanwhile Michael Jones, leader of the Labour group at County Hall, has called on the cabinet to reinstate the full rnage of rubbish that can be dumped at the county’s tips. He said: “A lot of flytipping is coming from bulky waste, which is still not allowed. The council has had time to prepare, I don’t understand what the delay is.”

To apply for a van permit, visit the council’s website.

More information is available online.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.