Worthing and Brighton’s Reclaim These Streets vigils for Sarah Everard cancelled
The organisers of a Reclaim These Streets vigil for Sarah Everard in Worthing and Brighton have cancelled the eventw.
Posting on social media, organisers for the Brighton gathering said they had taken the ‘heartbreaking decision’ after the original Clapham Common vigil was cancelled due to a police warning.
The group had been working ‘tirelessly’ to come to an agreement with Sussex Police on a socially distanced protest, but could not make any ground.
“It is important that we emphasise it is Sussex Police, and only Sussex Police, who have stopped us from going forward,” said the statement.
“If you’re feeling deflated or silenced - you are not alone. We are all feeling that anger and distress and are determined to channel it into ongoing action because we all deserve the right to feel safe.
“We will continue using this event to share forms of protest going forward, including things that you can do from home. As an immediate action, we suggest that you write to Sussex Police or make a complaint expressing your dissatisfaction at the decision they have made.
“It is perfectly legal to take your daily walk down to Valley Gardens today and lay placards/flowers/notes/lights in memory of Sarah Everard and all other women who have been victim to male violence.”
Worthing’s organisers said it should be viewed as a postponement, rather than a cancellation.
At 9.30pm today there is to be a doorstep vigil instead and people are encouraged to light a candle, light up their phones or shine a torch.
Thirty-three-year-old Sarah disappeared while walking home in Clapham on March 3 and her body was officially identified yesterday (March 12) after being found in Kent woodland.
A Metropolitan police officer has been charged with her kidnap and murder.
The Reclaim These Streets vigils were planned to remember Sarah and all the women who feel threatened on the streets.