Options for people who are unwell over the jubilee holiday

THE NHS has released a statement to say there is a range of services available over the Jubilee bank holiday to ensure people across Sussex can get the help they need, when they need it.

Sunday, 3rd June 2012, 3:00 pm

Many people going to A&E could be treated more quickly and more appropriately by another NHS service. Patients are urged to consider the full range of NHS services available to them.

Many common complaints, such as back-ache, minor injuries, stomach upsets and sore-throats can be treated by obtaining advice from your GP practice or out of hours’ service, phoning NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or by visiting a walk in centre, where no appointment is required to see a doctor or nurse quickly, or a Minor Injury Unit.

Dr Andrew Foulkes, NHS Sussex medical director, says: “Getting the right care in the right place is better for patients, and better for the NHS as it helps to make the best use of resources.”

Out of Hours GP service

There is an out of hour’s emergency GP service for evenings and weekends. This is run by local GPs. If you need a doctor or advice when your surgery is closed, the out of hours’ number will be given on your surgery’s answer machine message.


Your local pharmacist can advise on different ailments, over the counter remedies, prescribed medicines, emergency contraception, and first aid kits. Some pharmacies will be open on Sunday (June 2) and the Monday and Tuesday bank holidays (June 4 and 5). For opening times, check pharmacy windows, ring NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or visit www.sussex.nhs.uk/out-of-hours-pharmacies

NHS top tips for getting the right treatment include:

• Stock up at home on over the counter remedies for summer snuffles, rashes and stings, and first aid items so you are prepared for minor ailments and minor accidents.

• Go and see your local pharmacist who is qualified to give expert advice on a range of issues from sprains to stomach upsets.

• Phone NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or visit www.nhs.uk for expert, confidential health advice and information round the clock.

• Contact your GP or GP’s out of hours’ service for help and advice.

- If you have a genuine emergency, are badly injured or showing symptoms of a critical illness such as chest pain, call 999 or visit A&E immediately.