Sussex Police says its officers have not seen an increase in hate crimes reported over the weekend following the EU referendum last week.
It has been widely reported that in other areas of the country some people have been subjected to abuse, but police say however thankfully this has not been the case in Sussex.
Assistant Chief Constable Laurence Taylor said, “We are continuing to work closely with our communities across Sussex to ensure tolerance and prevent any hate crime or abuse, particularly following the EU referendum.
“We are aware people may be nervous after the media reports over the weekend, thankfully we have not had an increase in reports of hate crime since Friday’s result.”
“We haven’t received any other reports but I would urge anyone who has witnessed hate crime or experienced it to report it to us, either via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 101, or online via our website www.sussex.police.uk
“Everyone has the right to feel safe in their communities and any kind of hate crime is unacceptable in any circumstances.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.