House blaze caused by petrol used on open fire

SUS-140324-123506001
SUS-140324-123506001

A BLAZE broke out in an Upper Beeding house when the occupier used petrol on a real fire in the lounge.

The man, aged in his 20s, was attempting to light the fire in his house in High Street around 5.30pm yesterday.

The petrol can he was using caught fire, causing ten per cent of the kitchen to be damaged by fire and 30 per cent damaged by smoke.

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire Service said: “Never use flammable liquids like paraffin or petrol to get a fire going, as this can result in uncontrolled spread of fire or explosion.”

Firefighters from Steyning, Shoreham and Worthing attended and were at the scene until 6.19pm.

They removed the petrol can from the house and used a dry powder extinguisher to put out the fire.

The man suffered mild smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by the crew.

Fire brigade advice in the event of a chimney fire is to leave the room, close the door and alert other people in the house then dial 999.

Chimney fires can spread to the rest of the property, so always call the fire service if one starts.

The fire service says: “If you have time you can help prevent the fire spreading.

“If you have a conventional open fire, extinguish the fire by gently splashing water onto the fire.

“If you have a solid fuel appliance, close down the ventilation as much as possible.

“Move furniture and rugs away from the fireplace and remove any nearby ornaments. Place a spark guard in front of the fire.

“Feel the chimney breast in other rooms for signs of heat.

“Ensure that access to your attic or roof space is available for the fire service, as they will want to thoroughly check this area for signs of possible fire spread.”