FIREFIGHTERS were called to deal with a seagull trapped in roof netting in Shoreham.
The RSPCA was called out by the householders to a property in The Herons on Sunday morning.
Shoreham firefighters were then called at 12.22pm to help free the bird from netting around the chimney.
The crew was at the scene for an hour and used a roof ladder and small tools to release the gull, then left it in the care of the RSPCA officer.
Liz Wheeler, RSPCA inspector, said: “We see this kind of thing happening all the time during the summer months.
“People put netting on their rooftops to deter birds from nesting but it’s often not put up properly, causing birds to become trapped and to suffer.
“It is an offence to intentionally trap wild birds like gulls, so we are asking people to be mindful of their actions and make sure that if they do use netting, they install it correctly and regularly check and maintain it.
“We spend all summer getting trapped gulls out of roof netting and it’s easily avoidable.”