Fire breaks out in battery recycling bin

A FIRE broke out in a battery recycling bin in a Shoreham shop on Friday, January 10, at 10.30pm.

The shop, in Kingston Broadway, suffered minimal fire damage and light smoke logging but no one was hurt.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crew from Shoreham fire station and an East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crew from Hove attended the scene.

The fire started in the ground-floor customer service area of one of the shops, but was out by the time emergency services arrived at the scene.

Firefighters spent more than an hour-and-a-half damping down and ventilating the area.

The fire was started accidentally.

According to the fire-service report, one per cent of the shop was damaged by fire and 20 per cent by smoke.