Man died after single punch at West Sussex holiday resort when rival stag dos clashed over woman

A man died after he was floored by a single punch during a brawl between rival stag dos at a Butlin’s holiday camp ‘80s weekend, a court has heard.

Tuesday, 15th December 2020, 11:38 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th December 2020, 6:59 pm

The back of Michael Loughlin’s head hit the concrete floor of a bar in the Bognor Regis resort with such force witnesses described feeling the impact coming through their feet.

Mr Loughlin, 52, died in hospital after paramedics and doctors battled for four days to save him.

The dedicated Luton Town supporter was in a bar at the resort as part of a stag party for his friend.

Michael Loughlin died in hospital after paramedics and doctors battled for four days to save him

Billy Mongey, 33, from Wandsworth denies manslaughter, a court heard.

Trouble started when a man from another stag tried to chat up a female in Mr Loughlin’s group.

Ryan Richter for the prosecution described an eruption of violence.

He told a jury at Lewes Crown Court: “After a period of tension, a quick incident of violence took place.

Billy Mongey, 33, from Wandsworth, denies manslaughter

“It was a flare up of violence which lasted under a minute.

“At the end of the fight, Mr Loughlin punched a man in the other group which caught the eye of Mr Mongey.

“He placed a hand on his shoulder, then landed a powerful punch on him which sent him backwards onto the floor.”

A nearby nurse on a hen do with her friends said she felt the impact of his head on the ground coming through the floor to her feet, Mr Richter said.

The incident happened in a bar at Butlin's Bognor Regis resort as part of a stag party

He started to fit as she tried to help him.

Paramedics were called to the Bognor Regis resort on Friday, June 14 last year.

Mr Mongey was arrested after Sussex Police viewed CCTV from the Butlin’s cameras.

David Tovey, who had known Mr Loughlin since they were boys, said he will never forget the sound as his head hit the floor.

Mr Loughlin's family said he was deeply loved and a piece of their hearts had been lost forever

He was kicked as he went to ground during the fight.

“I managed to get myself clear.

“As I stumbled away from the area I was on the floor.

“I saw someone standing up then I head this crack.

“It was a punch.

“Then the guy on my right fell like a tree.

“He was knocked out completely before he fell.

“I heard him land on the ground and it’s a sound I’ll never forget.

“Then I saw it was Michael.

“He was laying there out cold.

“The noise was horrendous.”

The bar was crowded with hen and stag dos, some in fancy dress, who had seen Boney M perform at the start of the adults only ‘80s themed weekend.

Mr Loughlin died the following Tuesday at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

His family said he was deeply loved and a piece of their hearts had been lost forever.

Mr Loughlin from Barton-le-Clay in Bedford, was known as Locky to family and friends.

A post mortem gave the cause of death as a head injury.

Mr Mongey denies manslaughter.

The trial at Lewes Crown Court continues.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world.  But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.