A furious mother believes her three-year-old son could have died after he was ‘strangled’ by a stray rope in an ‘unsafe’ play area at a Sussex holiday park.
Rachel Mould’s toddler Jimmy Cane was left with cuts and burns on his neck by the incident at Combe Haven Holiday Park in St Leonards on Sunday, December 4.
The 30-year-old mum-of-two from Woking, Surrey, rents one of the Harley Shute Road park’s caravans but was horrified by the lack of a first aid kit and the ‘uncaring’ attitude from the manager.
“She showed no remorse or concern at all and I just felt it’s such a let down,” she said.”
“He could’ve died if we hadn’t been there.”
Jimmy was playing in the soft play area and put a rope around his neck, which was hanging over the slide, and pushed himself down.
Fortunately the rope gave way but he was left with a nasty rope burn around his neck and Ms Mould said he refused to put a seat belt on as it hurt too much.
The mum also said it was even worse for her four-year-old daughter Chloe who was ‘traumatised’ after witnessing the accident.
When they called for help, no manager was available and no first aid kit was provided.
A ‘health and safety man’ came over and closed the play area, Ms Mould said, but it is unknown whether it is still shut.
“I’m getting more wound up and upset every day thinking, ‘what if they reopen it?’ My doctor was nearly in tears with shock as the photos really are awful,” she said.
“I’m just glad we’ve got smartphones these days to get evidence of what was happening.”
Ms Mould left a note detailing what had happened for the manager to read the next day, expecting a call to apologise, but no call came.
The mother eventually called the manager who she said kept trying to change the topic and showed little care for what had happened.
“I pay £5,000 a year to rent a caravan there and the place is going to hell big time and now my son has been injured in their soft play area,” she said.
“I need to hold them up on it. It’s a big greedy company who don’t want to spend money on safety.”
A Combe Haven spokesman said: “We are aware of the matter and currently an investigation is taking place.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.