Adur school place shortage confronted at parent meeting
The pressing problem of school place shortages in Adur was discussed at a meeting organised by parent campaigners, who are determined to put the issue '˜firmly on the map'.
More than 100 people, including parents, councillors and headteachers, attended the event held by the Future of Adur Schools Team (FAST) at the Shoreham Centre on Monday.
Group member Alastair Reid said their presentation aimed to outline the scale of the problem.
“I don’t think anyone was aware of how big an issue this was going to be,” he said.
Demand for school places would only increase with the proposed 3,609 new homes included in the Adur Local Plan, he said.
Data gathered by FAST from county council figures showed that primary schools in Lancing and Shoreham had already been at full capacity most years during the past six years, he said, adding: “This is not a new problem.”
But while three new primary schools are under discussion, FAST fear this still may not be enough to meet demand.
Alastair said: “The big issue no one is talking about is that we drastically need new secondary school capacity.”
FAST calculates there may be a shortfall of 1,000 secondary school places by 2030, Alastair said.
The group hopes to recruit FAST representatives in more schools to work together and even approach sponsors to discuss the possibility of a new secondary school.
Alastair said after the meeting: “The feedback has been really positive.”
Claire Green said: “Until the recent secondary school issues I had been blissfully unaware of the scale of the challenge ahead.”
She thanked FAST for ‘putting a spotlight on it’.
Louisa Holden, parent to a Shoreham Pre School pupil, said the presentation was ‘clear, factual, fair’ and added: “It was fantastic to see head teachers attending.”
Parent Richard James said: “A brilliant presentation of the issues, but I’m still feeling desperately concerned about the national problem and ideological stubbornness that restricts any serious change.”
A West Sussex County Council spokesperson told the Herald: “We recognise there is a concern locally regarding future capacity at the local schools.
“We also understand that parents are not always able to secure their first preference.
“In 2017/18 there are sufficient places for children at schools across the local area.
“We make every effort to accurately predict the future demand on school places and are currently working with headteachers to regularly review the current and future provision.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.