A27 in West Sussex closed due to van collision, causing gridlock

The accident on the A27
The accident on the A27

A stretch of the A27 in West Sussex is closed this morning due to a van collision.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the scene of the accident - on the eastbound carriageway of the A27 between Emsworth and Chichester - at 6.53am by the ambulance service.

This was to reports of a van colliding with a tree, with two male casualties.

The first fire engine arrived at the scene at 7.10am, and was joined by two others and a specialist rescue unit which cut the two men out of the vehicle and left them in the care of paramedics.

Sussex Police led the response. Officers arrived at the scene at 6.44am and the eastbound carriageway was closed shortly afterwards.

A spokesman said: “A passenger in the van has suffered major injuries and is being taken to St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester.”

The accident on the A27

The accident on the A27

The air ambulance was seen landing at Chichester College this morning to respond to the accident, where an ambulance was also spotted.

At 9.40am, the South East Coast Ambulance Service said it sent two response cars and two ambulances to the accident.

A spokesman said: “The air Ambulance also attended and took a man in his 30s to Royal Sussex County Hospital with a serious chest injury. Another patient with minor injuries was taken by ambulance to St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester.”

At 10am, Chichester Police tweeted that the vehicle had been recovered and the road had been reopened.

They added that the ‘vehicle left the carriageway due to a mechanical failure’ and thanked members of the public who stopped to help.

Commuters faced hours of delays as a result of the incident. Among them was Charlotte Harding, from Portsmouth, who joined the queues at 7.30am when she drove past to the Emsworth petrol station.

She said she saw two paramedics and an ambulance driving past to the scene of the accident, and believed the westbound carriageway was also closed for a while as she did not see any cars going past.

At 9.15am, police officers began turning traffic around. She said she got a police escort back to the roundabout at Emsworth. By this time, she said the traffic was gridlocked back to the M27 outside Portsmouth.

She said: “It is not what you would expect on a Monday morning, but while I was sat there for nearly two hours, the police seemed to be very quick to react to what happened.”