Warning after freak bedroom fire in Fernhurst

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are warning of the danger of mirrors reflecting sunlight after a freak bedroom fire in Fernhurst yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, February 23)

The fire is believed to have started when reflected sunlight from a dressing table mirror set a candle alight on the bedroom windowsill which then caught the curtains alight.

Crews from Midhurst and Haslemere were called to the detached house on Hawksfold Lane East in Fernhurst just after 4pm after the owners returned home to hear their smoke detector and see smoke coming from the first floor of their home.

The couple, in their 70s, left the property and called 999.

On arrival, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire using hose reels preventing it from spreading to the rest of the house.

Watch Manager Nigel Gamblen from Midhurst fire station said afterwards:

“This may sound like a freak incident but actually it isn’t that uncommon. We’ve attended fires started in this way by mirrors and ornaments before, particularly during the winter months when the sun is very low.

Our advice is wherever possible make sure mirrors and glass ornaments are not in direct sunlight or on windowsills.”

“We would also like to remind people we offer free home safety visits in West Sussex for people over 65 or those with a disability. Call 0845 872 9719 or visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire to find out if you are eligible.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.