VIDEO: Worthing’s tribute after Tunisia terror attack

  • Worthing joins national one minute silence paying tribute to last week’s Tunisian terror victims
  • Deputy mayor calls on town to support Tunisia and the families of the victims
  • It comes as the latest bodies of the 30 British nationals were being flown home
0
Have your say

DOZENS of people stopped in the street, bowed their heads and remained silent for a minute today (July 3) to pay tribute to those killed in the Tunisian terrorist attack exactly one week ago.

Councillors, shoppers and traders lined Chapel Road and the steps of Worthing Town Hall to mark the national moment of remembrance at midday.

One minute silence outside Worhting Town Hall   PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125029001

One minute silence outside Worhting Town Hall PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125029001

It comes after a terrorist from Islamic State (IS) shot and killed 38 people on a beach in Tunisia last Friday, with 30 of his victims being British nationals.

With the Union flags outside the town hall at half mast, the deputy mayor of Worthing, councillor Sean McDonald, welcomed all those who turned out to pay their respects.

He reflected upon the atrocity and called residents to join them in the minute-long tribute.

“We are gathered here today for a minute of silence to remember those who lost their lives and to reflect on what a world without terror would be like,” he said.

This is not a moment for dramatic speeches, it’s a moment for quiet reflection.

Councillor Sean McDonald, deputy mayor of Worthing

“This is not a moment for dramatic speeches, it’s a moment for quiet reflection.”

Town crier and former mayor, Bob Smytherman then rang the bell at the stroke of midday, launching the one-minute silence.

People of all ages stood still to witness the solemn event.

After the 60 second silence was completed, Ann Bridges, vice chairman of Adur District Council thanked those for turning out for the commemoration.

People stop to pay thier respects in Worthing    PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125017001

People stop to pay thier respects in Worthing PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125017001

She said: “While we remember those who have lost their lives in this horrific attack, we must also give a thought for their friends, families and loved ones who will shoulder an unimaginable loss for the rest of their lives.

“I hope they know that they have the support of the people of Adur and Worthing behind them as they work to move forward with their lives.”

The tributes came as the latest bodies of the Britains killed on the beach in Sousse by gunman Seiffedine Rezgui were flown back to the UK.

Rezqui was shot and killed by Tunisian police not long after beginning his murderous assault.

Councillor outside the town hall marking the minute silence to those killed in the Tunisian terrorist a week ago    PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125004001

Councillor outside the town hall marking the minute silence to those killed in the Tunisian terrorist a week ago PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-150307-125004001

However, more of his victims are expected to be flown back to the country on an RAF plane, tomorrow.

Speaking to the Herald after the minute silence in Worthing, Mr McDonald paid tribute to the Tunisians who put their lives on the line to protect frightened holidaymakers.

He said: “This type of thing has affected everyone in this country. Either people know someone that has been directly affected or they have visited the country and recognise the area.

“The fact that this was one terrorist isn’t going to put people off. The gunman may have been a Tunisian but he was one man. There were plenty of other Tunisians that risked their lives to help save others.

“This country is hugely dependent on tourism and we should stand by them in solidarity against terrorism.”

The assault was the worst terrorist attack against UK citizens since the July 7 bombings in London, in 2005.

In that instance 52 people were killed by four suicide bombers.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.